[squid-users] Re: FTP Connect but no LIST

From: Joost de Heer <sanguis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:11:38 +0100 (CET)

> I'm trying to connect through filezilla and have a strange (for me) result
> :
>
> Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (213,186,59,46,166,82)
> Command: TYPE A
> Response: 200 Type okay.
> Command: LIST
> Error: Proxy request failed, can't connect through proxy server
> Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: An established connection
> was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Here, a CONNECT to a disallowed port is performed (213.186.59.46:42578).
If you want to allow passive FTP you have to allow CONNECT to -all-
high-ports, and not just port 21. Which is of course a major security
issue.

I have never tried this, but perhaps it's possible to allow CONNECT on
both 20 and 21, and use active FTP. The firewall on the other side must
allow this of course.

If you want proper FTP proxying, then Squid isn't your thing. I've seen
Henrik Nordstrom mention Frox (http://frox.sourceforge.net/) as an ftp
proxy server, but I have no experience with this.

Joost