RE: [squid-users] How to upgrade Squid 3.0?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:41:42 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Greg Shepherd wrote:

> I did have 2.5STABLE5 installed and working, but then I ran into HTTPS
> issues (just wanted them forwarded not the more complicated stuff that I
> have been reading about).

Please define forwarded.

If you by forwarded refer to forwarded from internal clients to the
Internet then Squid-3 beta is not something for you and may infact make
things significantly worse (this has been broken in Squid-3 for a long
time).

Only if you need the reverse proxying of external Internet clients
requesting https via your Squid to internal https servers should you look
into Squid-3 for the purpose of https support.

> After reading LOTS of postings, I went to 3.0. That took care of part of
> my immediate problem (conflicting firewall rules for the rest). So,
> before deploying this server, I wanted to have the latest updates on it.
> Thus, my question on how to perform and update/upgrade with an existing
> installation.

To upgrade to a current Squid-3 beta you only need to install Squid from
source.