Re: [squid-users] How to upgrade Squid 3.0?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:37:41 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Please tell me SuSe are not shipping 3.0 binaries!?

They are, and in addition their release manager think it is a wise thing
to do...

> 3.0 is not labeled STABLE, and thus it is a development release for
> developers and knowledgeable end users interested in testing the development
> version to help find bugs (of which there are many) and help get them fixed
> before it becomes STABLE.

Correct.

> If you aren't one of those two types of people, I strongly suggest you stick
> with the latest 2.5 STABLE version of Squid.

I'll second that.

> We're all eager to get 3.0 out into wide usage, but it just isn't ready
> for it yet.

Bug it has taken a huge leap forward in the last days. We have had a 3+
days code sprint where me, Robert, Guido and Kinkie spent full time on
Squid-3 bug fixing and discussions regarding the future of Squid. Nice to
finally meet up after all these years working together via email and IRC.

Expect more to come in the near future.

Others with some programming experience is also more than welcome to help
fixing bugs in Squid-3. There is a lot of work in both porting Squid-2.5
patches to Suqid-3 and to fix Squid-3 unique problems. See bugzilla
entries with "Target Milestone: 3.0"