RE: [squid-users] Hotmail blank page Too

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:28:52 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Lucia Di Occhi wrote:

> I had forgotten to mention I am using Transparent Mode.

Transparent interception is evil.

If you absolutely MUST transparently intercept the client traffic then I
highly recommend to NAT all traffic (proxied and direct) to the same IP
address. If not you will certainly run into login and/or session problems
with numerous web sites.

In addition you should expect things will break with MSIE and other
advanced browsers from time to time in combination with transparent
interception. In such configurations the browsers rightfully assume there
is no proxy in the request chain as they have not been configured to use
one, but then the interception violates the fundamentals of TCP/IP making
the browsers assumptions fail badly.

But most often the causes to problems is web sites which is overly
sensitive to the source IP address of the client. Not sure if this is the
case for MSN at the moment.