[squid-users] Allowing a dial up user?

From: Martin Joseph <mercedes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:26:38 -0800

Hello Squid heads!

I apologize if this question is rehashed ad nauseam, but I didn't find
it with a search or two in the archives, so here goes...

My wife has been using her t-mobile cell phone with the "t-zones"
service ($4.99 US per month) to access the internet via GPRS from her
laptop (PBG4 OSX 10.3.6).

Recently T-mobile decided to block port 80 on this service (the
bastards).

I stewed over this for a while and considered paying the $19.99 per
month (still US) to get web access back.

Then I realized there are other means at my disposal :~)

I installed and configured Squid(2.5 stable) on one of my servers
running OSX 10.3.7. I am using Webmin to administrate this setup.
This went super well, and I have squid running and I am thrilled with
this.

I have port scanned and am using port 465 for the cell phone service
proxy.

My problem is that I can't really see how to best "allow" for a
wandering cell phone user to connect to my proxy? If I "allow all" it
works, but I realize this is a security issue, and don't seem to be
able to figure the best way to lock out bad guys while allowiing the
cell.

I also don't seem to have any authentication working? I added a user
to the internal authentication list, and tried to authenticate, but
my stats seem to show that isn't happening?

Thanks for suggestions, ideas, or links back to relevant archive
areas...

Marty