[squid-users] Re: Allowing a dial up user?

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:31:13 -0500

Martin Joseph wrote:

> My problem is that I can't really see how to best "allow" for a
> wandering cell phone user to connect to my proxy? If I "allow all" it
> works, but I realize this is a security issue, and don't seem to be
> able to figure the best way to lock out bad guys while allowiing the
> cell.

Probably the best method would be using authentication, rather than trying
to match a particular IP address. Since this information is transmitted
over the Internet, I would suggest using digest authentication (which
doesn't transmit the password in the clear).

> I also don't seem to have any authentication working? I added a user
> to the internal authentication list, and tried to authenticate, but
> my stats seem to show that isn't happening?

Take a look at the FAQs for Access Controls and Authentication:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html

If you still have problems, explain exactly what you are trying to do and
what is happening instead, and post your squid.conf (without newlines or
comments).

Adam