RE: [squid-users] Multiple httpd-accelerated servers in squid v.3

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:10:01 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Chris Perreault wrote:

> Is there an example, for squid pre 3, that shows this?

Not yet, but I have written a couple examples over the years available in
the squid-users archives.

> For example: 10.87.10.1 is one back end webserver and 10.87.10.2 is a
> second back end webserver. You desire to have people visit
> mysite.com/web1 and mysite.com/web2 to reach those origin servers.
> Using regex and a matching directory on the origin servers (all content is
> in 10.87.10.1/web1 on one server and all content is in 10.87.10.2/web2 on
> the other server) it is simple to do a regex match. What if you wanted to
> point to the root of the servers though and have mysite.com/web1 just point
> to 10.87.10.2 and return addresses to the browser like
> 10.87.10.1/web1/files/goodstuff/index.htm when going to the actual server
> directly that address would be 10.87.10.1/files/goodstuff/index.htm

For things to work smoothly you really want to make sure each web server
can accept the exact same URL as the user is requesting from your reverse
proxy. If you need to modify the URL while it is forwarded to the web
server you are likely to sooner or later run into problems due to
mismatches between what your webserver thinks is the correct URL and what
your users actually should be requesting..

If you need to modify the requested URLs then this can be done with a
redirector.