[squid-users] RE: Hotmail problem

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:22:40 -0500

Angela Burrell wrote:

> I would consider to update my squid; but the instructions on the Squid FAQ
> site don't make sense to me (run 3 squid servers at once or something,
> then you upgrade one, but with no instructions on how to do it.)

Basically, you just build from source and install over your existing copy
(after making a backup copy, of course).

> Since upgrading would supposedly enable the Hotmail workaround, could
> someone please point me to a *good* tutorial on how to do it (withOUT the
> FAQ, thanks).

The problem here is that an upgrade from Squid 2.4 to Squid 2.5 is more
complicated than an upgrade from one Squid 2.5 release to the other, due to
changes in configuration file parameters.

I would recommend installing Squid 2.5 to a separate folder from your Squid
2.4 install, and run it on a separate port to test until you get it working
how you want. Then change the port in squid.conf, shutdown the 2.4
instance, and turn on the 2.5 instance.

> Also, Do I need to upgrade any packages in my kernel to do
> that? I have 2.4.18.

No, that kernel will work fine with Squid 2.5.

Adam