[squid-users] Redirect fails

From: Rajesh K. Gupta <rajeshkgupta@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:17:06 -0500

Using Squid 2.5.7 , redirection is failing.

Description of "failure":

When a web-browser requests a URL (redirection enabled), Squid returns
nothing to the browser (and browser continues to wait for response).

The redirection program is being executed (simple perl script) which
just returns a blank line. (no URL modification occurs).

#start simple redirect, which really does not redirect yet
#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<>) {
   print "\n";
}
#end simple redirect

I have verified Squid has correct permissions to execute this file.
I did this by modifying the script to write out to a file what SQUID's
input was, and this worked. My browser's request (to Google) was
written to a file in the format:
"http://www.google.com 192.168.1.126/- - GET"
So from this I am certian Squid is able to execute the script and
input the relevant data to it.

Redirect related config settings specified:

redirect_program /usr/scripts/redirect.pl
redirect_children 5
redirector_access allow all

With these lines commented, the squid operates properly.

Im using NetBSD 2.0, Squid 2.5.7.
I had the same results attempting to do this on a Linux (debian 2.0),
Squid 2.4.6.

I should also note that I used the binary packages for both systems
(perhaps I need to compile with some specific configure options for
redirection to work?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Best Regards,

-Rajesh