[squid-users] transparently proxying ICQ and other messengers

From: Chavdar Videff <chavdar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:18:49 +0200

Hello, everyone.

Happy New Year first.

I am administering a network of about 50 hosts.
What I want to achieve is save me the task of going round computers (our users
are very busy and grumbling) and changing settings in browsers, messengers,
download managers, etc. For this reason it would be inappropriate to use
squid in a non-transparent manner (works just fine though).
So far I managed to run squid transparently, however I am having problems with
doing it with ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc.
Our proxy server is running Debian Unstable, I m combining squid and iptables,
of course.
Is there a simple way to add other protocols apart from HTTP, in order to take
advantage of transparent proxying?
I haven't mastered the squid configuration yet, so pinting me to additional
howtos or manuals would be very helpful.
My version of squid is:
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE7
configure options: --prefix=/usr --exec_prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/sbin
--sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid --sysconfdir=/etc/squid
--localstatedir=/var/spool/squid --datadir=/usr/share/squid --enable-async-io
--with-pthreads --enable-storeio=ufs,aufs,diskd,null --enable-linux-netfilter
--enable-arp-acl --enable-removal-policies=lru,heap --enable-snmp
--enable-delay-pools --enable-htcp --enable-poll --enable-cache-digests
--enable-underscores --enable-referer-log --enable-useragent-log
--enable-auth=basic,digest,ntlm --enable-carp --enable-large-files
i386-debian-linux
If necessary I could post the squid.conf file which is mostly the default one
with specific hostname and networks edited.
Thanks in advance

Chavdar Videff