Re: [squid-users] transparently proxying ICQ and other messengers

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:45:10 +0800

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 00:18, Chavdar Videff wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Happy New Year first.
>
> So far I managed to run squid transparently, however I am having problems with
> doing it with ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc.
> Is there a simple way to add other protocols apart from HTTP, in order to take
> advantage of transparent proxying?

Yes.. But it's basically a iptables thing. Just redirect ports destined
for ICq to swquid

> I haven't mastered the squid configuration yet, so pinting me to additional
> howtos or manuals would be very helpful.

Look at the SSL_ports or SSL_safe_ports (can't remember the exact name)
and put in the ports for ICQ and others there.

That's just neccesary for them to use the CONNECT method for connecting.

Note that these are _not_ proxying requests. Your box just acts as
forwarders.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz