Re: [squid-users] Squid/2.3.STABLE4 and Visual Basic

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:37:18 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 Carl.Boudreau@gtservicing.com wrote:

> I have no clue how a Proxy Server does what it does.

It's all specified in the HTTP protocol specifications (RFC 2616 HTTP and
2617 HTTP Authentication)

> I do how ever need to authenticate myself programmatically using Visual
> Basic. So my application can get past Squid and on to
> http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h15/update/h15upd.htm. Where I
> will read and parse the data from this page.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but so far I am under the impression that
> a NTLM patch needs to be applied to squid 2.3 in order to use the Dot Net
> Credentials functionality? Can it be applied safely to this version?

For NTLM authenticaiton you need to use Squid-2.5 in combination with
Samba. There is no patch to Squid-2.3 for this.

This should not really be related to Dot Net credentials.

> My second assumption is that the user name and password is being passed
> from my web browser to Squid in the Headers?

This is done using Basic authentication as per the specifications in RFC
2617.

Or in simple words you you add the request header

Proxy-Authorization: Basic base64_encoded_login:password

> WebBrowser1.Navigate URL:="http://www.google.com",
> Headers:="Authorization: Basic " & EncodeBase64("MyUserName", "MyPassword")
> & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10)

Almost.. you need to use Proxy-Authorization, and there should be a :
between the username and the password.

But I would think the VB Dot Net HTTP libraries should have builtin
functionality for providing the proxy authenitcation credentials in a more
sane manner, hopefully also implementing Digest authentication. But with
my non-exising knowledge about VB programming I am of limited guidance
there.