[squid-users] can a redirector do this?

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:19:43 +1030

Folks,
        We are playing with Websense running in squid redirector mode.
On the whole, this works pretty well, I have it integrated with our AD and
squid nicely and we are able to control where our users are able to go.

The problem I have is that we want to block proxy bypass sites, one of the
sites we are having problems with uses https, when this goes through the
websense redirector the redirector says "blocked" but the browser still
gets the site displayed. I have had a bit of a to and fro with websense
support and they are saying you cannot redirect a https request to a http
page (websense uses a http server to tell the user they have been blocked).
I am not certain what they are telling me is true, mainly because they
started off by trying to tell me the https requests never went through
the redirector - only to change that story when I gave them the logs showing
their redirector was seeing the https requests. So, can a redirector
rewrite a https request to go to a http server? Would squid ignore the
redirect and just go to the https server anyway?

--
Brett Lymn