[squid-users] How to improve speed to access foreign sites/ Squid Access cache mechanism

From: Seewo Chen <Seewo.Chen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:49:14 +0800

Hi, everybody
     At first I must tell you my location which is in china.
     I installed squid2.5 Stable7 based on Redhat9.0 in recently day. But I meet
some troubles:
     The cache effect is very visible when I surf internal site or foreign sites
that the response time is quick throught squid proxy server , but it is very
slow when I access oracle.com or hp.com. even if I access oracle.com twice/three
times at sequential time. The following is relative test data, I add the site
response speed from
http://www.linkwan.com/gb/broadmeter/speed/responsespeedtest.htm:
Remark: Response time (sec) is the time I access the home page of relative
sites, from I commit request to the status bar display Done.

     Web Sites Time Site response Speed (sec)
Response time (sec)
oracle.com 1st 3.57
68
                               2nd
9.52 30
                               3rd
6.21 30
dell.com 1st 0.79
5
                               2nd
0.45 3
                               3rd
0.41 3
www.sohu.com 1st 1.65
5
                               2nd
0.15 2
                               3rd
0.17 2

     Now, any idea about squid access cache mechanism? what will do before squid
put page to client IE browse? May squid check cache at first and then put the
page to IE browse and then check the original web sites?

Thanks,
Seewo