Re: [squid-users] throttling certain websites

From: Robert Vangel <vangelr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:52:20 +0800

John Davis wrote:
> I find that in our network, one website seems to
> account for almost all of our traffic. It looks as
> though "launch.yahoo.com" is eating up about ninety
> percent of my incoming bandwidth. I'm sure someone
> will say "just block it", but this company is a family
> business, and they are never, ever told no. If I had a
> way to throttle launch.yahoo.com back to around 28kb,
> the network would be much more useable. And I could
> plausibly blame the problem on Yahoo.
>
> If this is possible, could someone please show me how?
>
> Best Regards!

Have a look at delay_pools, while creating an acl of dstdomain to
launch.yahoo.com

However, since I'm a nice person, I'll give an example...

## START
acl launch_yahoo_com dstdomain .launch.yahoo.com

# assuming you don't already use delay pools
delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 1
delay_access 1 allow launch_yahoo_com
delay_parameters 1 3500/3500
## END

This should limit all traffic (individual connections) to 3.5KB/s to
launch.yahoo.com