Re: [squid-users] centralised logging

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:26:33 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Rolf wrote:

> what do people use for centralised logging for multiple squid boxes?

Most people I know periodically (usually nighlty) collect the logs from
the proxy servers to the central log server, where they then run
statistics etc..

> About to put in another server, didn't see any relevant directives in
> squid.conf for redirecting log output (but I could have missed).

There is none.

> Is it best to setup a method to transfer the logs to a master machine and
> modify the reporting/analysing tools to deal with those logfiles?

scp is a good tool for transferring logs, easily scheduled by cron.

> What happens in the case of proxy A receiving a request and asking proxy B
> for it (in the case where they are configured to ask each other)? The
> respective logs would both record the client request where in fact there was
> only one?

Yes, but in one of them the client IP is the other proxy so it isn't that
hard to filter out if not wanted.