Re: [squid-users] Accessing allowed URLs from MySQL

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:21:10 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Glynn Robinson wrote:

> I'm currently setting up a new Squid proxy server to replace an existing one.
> The current proxy utilises an ACL which connects to a MySQL database and
> extracts a number of allowed URLs from a table. The problem is, I'm having
> trouble replicating this behaviour in the new proxy. The current squid.conf
> file has a number of references to MySQL - including information regarding
> the name of the database, the user and password etc

Sounds like your old Squid included an inofficial patch for integration
with MySQL.

Probably the patch by Matthew Naylor linked from the
devel.squid-cache.org. Unfortunately his page is not available anymore but
it is archived by the WayBackMatchine (great tool btw)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mfn100/squid_mysql.html

To my knowledge noone has written an external_acl replacement for this
yet. If you know a little of programming in any language with mysql
support you are welcome to take a stab at this. To give some scale on the
project writing an mysql external_acl helper in for example perl should
not be much more than a handful of lines, plus command line parameter
parsing, usage instructions etc if desired to make it easy to use.