Re: [squid-users] Squid, storage size and other questions...

From: H Matik <h@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:41:56 -0200

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:22, Elsen Marc wrote:
> > I was wondering how good can be having a huge storage size
> > for caching.
>
> Not good , probably even bad.
> Let alone RAM requirements (see FAQ).

I guess "huge" is a bad number to discuss

> Particular staying with the first part of your question
> Squid efficiency will not increase with a random pointed big cache size.
> Let alone the RAM you would need (see FAQ).
>
> The 'average advise' in terms of maximising efficiency is to choose
> a cache size corresponding to one week of traffic generated by your user
> community.

IMO this is not sooo easy and cache size does matter
When speaking about dynamic content and small objects well i agree but you can
cache large objects from ftp servers, as well as avis and mpegs and iso which
can drastically improve your cache performance and still reduce drastically
as well your link usage, probably such objects do not change in months so why
refresh them?

When using only one cache server probably hard to do but you can use two
frontends and you limit one of them to store small objects as found on normal
pages and the other one caches only large objects and then you can use
squid.conf technics to get best out of it.

Hans

> M.

Infomatik
(18)8112.7007
http://info.matik.com.br
Mensagens não assinadas com GPG não são minhas.
Messages without GPG signature are not from me.