Re: [squid-users] Clearing the Squid cache or disabling caching during certain periods

From: jennyw <jennyw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:15:55 -0800

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> The best approach to this is to make the web server set proper
> cache-control and/or Expires headers. Will make your and your users
> life much better.

Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? ;-) Unfortunately, this is for
caching a commercial shopping cart (Miva Merchant) and we can't change
the headers that are sent out programmatically (and it currently sends
no cache-related headers at all). We might be able to add an expires
header in a .htaccess file, but then we'd have to write a script
changing .htaccess at various times.

> You should either use the init script for both actions, or not at all.
> Also, "squid -k shutdown" will take a while to complete during which
> time you should monitor the pid file.

I originally tried using the init script to shut down, but I often got
errors restarting Squid when I used it. I think monitoring the pid file
as you suggest might solve that problem.

> No need to switch between two configs for this. Squid is fully aware
> of time allowing the same configuration to be used during both periods.

Chris' e-mail said something about this, too. I'll give it a try --
looks like my best option.

Thanks!

Jen