[squid-users] Re: Clearing the Squid cache or disabling caching during certain periods

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:15:29 -0500

jennyw wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>> The best approach to this is to make the web server set proper
>> cache-control and/or Expires headers. Will make your and your users
>> life much better.
>
> Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? ;-) Unfortunately, this is for
> caching a commercial shopping cart (Miva Merchant) and we can't change
> the headers that are sent out programmatically (and it currently sends
> no cache-related headers at all). We might be able to add an expires
> header in a .htaccess file, but then we'd have to write a script
> changing .htaccess at various times.

No, just set the Expires: header to access time + some short interval (like
a half hour or an hour).

Alternatively, if you can identify the content from this commercial shopping
cart by URL, you could use refresh_pattern settings in squid.conf. However,
fixing this at the web server is definitely the best solution.

Adam