Re: [squid-users] squidrunner views - squidrunnerv1.2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:44:23 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, squidrunner team wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/squidrunner_dev/squidrunnerv12.txt
>
> Have your view and share your feedbacks/views on this.

Some comments:

use wget -N to retreive files.

patches MUST be applied in reverse order listed, not alphabetically. This
list is easily built in the for loop retreiving the patches by using

    patches="$patch $patches"

Why do you 'echo "wget ... " | sh', instead of wget? Generally piping
"untrusted" data to sh is not very wise.

The default of "http_access deny all" is deliberate. I do not like at all
having the script installing with a default "allow all" config. If you
want to insert something then use the suggested my_networks access rule
but with only 127.0.0.1 in the our_networks acl and a comment that the
user should add his networks there.

And in addition you should attempt to modify squid.conf if it's already
there before the script installs Squid. If not it will mess things up for
people upgrading their existing installations.

Why do you set visible_hostname to `hostname` in the config? The only
cases where you need to set visible_hostname (or more accurately
unique_hostname) is when `hostname` does not return a useable host name...

Adding a mode where the configure options is taken from an existing
install would be quite helpful. The current configure options is returned
in the "squid -v" output.