Re: [squid-users] squidrunner views - squidrunnerv1.2

From: squidrunner team <squidrunner_dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 04:27:22 -0800 (PST)

Dear Henrik,

Thanks. Your mail gave me a lots of views.

> Some comments:
>
> use wget -N to retreive files.

I thought that wget status message occupying window so
that I put -q (quit) mode there. But new version will
be with status (-N) support within two days with
additional updations.

> patches MUST be applied in reverse order listed, not
> alphabetically. This
> list is easily built in the for loop retreiving the
> patches by using
>
> patches="$patch $patches"

I have used a logic as patch<number> Where number is
used to give the order of patches in bugs index page.
But the problem is when you do patching from top to
down or down to top for squid-stable7, it is making
problem as "hunk#1 succeed at 1. something like that".

> Why do you 'echo "wget ... " | sh', instead of wget?
> Generally piping
> "untrusted" data to sh is not very wise.

I have removed "| bash" operations.

> The default of "http_access deny all" is deliberate.
> I do not like at all
> having the script installing with a default "allow
> all" config. If you
> want to insert something then use the suggested
> my_networks access rule
> but with only 127.0.0.1 in the our_networks acl and
> a comment that the
> user should add his networks there.

I will be getting an input to give their IP-Address
network else by default it will take 127.0.0.1 address
to allow web-access. Others will be denied default.

> And in addition you should attempt to modify
> squid.conf if it's already
> there before the script installs Squid. If not it
> will mess things up for
> people upgrading their existing installations.

I have designed to build squid for non-existing
machines. But now I have changed to include the
machines to upgrade their squid server. I am currently
working on that.

> Why do you set visible_hostname to `hostname` in the
> config? The only
> cases where you need to set visible_hostname (or
> more accurately
> unique_hostname) is when `hostname` does not return
> a useable host name...

When I tried on few machines, with out setting
visible_hostname squid server is making problem.
It is stating error as "Fully Qualified Domain name"
is needed. I hope it is problem with resolvation from
/etc/nsswitch.conf file hosts: entry. Is it like that?

> Adding a mode where the configure options is taken
> from an existing
> install would be quite helpful. The current
> configure options is returned
> in the "squid -v" output.

Yes. I am using squid -v output for the upgradation of
squid operation.

Have a nice week-end.

REgards,
Squidrunner team.