Re: [squid-users] squidrunner views - squidrunnerv1.2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:58:09 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, squidrunner team wrote:

> I thought that wget status message occupying window so
> that I put -q (quit) mode there. But new version will
> be with status (-N) support within two days with
> additional updations.

-N is timestamping, allowing wget to skip downloading the file if it's
already downloaded and current.

> I have used a logic as patch<number> Where number is
> used to give the order of patches in bugs index page.

Just building the list is easier imho.

> But the problem is when you do patching from top to
> down or down to top for squid-stable7, it is making
> problem as "hunk#1 succeed at 1. something like that".

As long as it says suceeded you are fine.

And as I said you must apply the patches bottom-up. Quite often there is
patches which depends on other patches to apply cleanly. Not sure if there
is any such dependencies in the 2.5.STABLE7 patch list, but there sure is
in 2.5.STABLE6 and is quite likely to happen again.

> When I tried on few machines, with out setting
> visible_hostname squid server is making problem.
> It is stating error as "Fully Qualified Domain name"
> is needed. I hope it is problem with resolvation from
> /etc/nsswitch.conf file hosts: entry. Is it like that?

Squid needs to know the fully qualified name of the server, including
domain. This is used in FTP icons and a number of other places.

Squid only complains about this when the hostname of the server is not
fully qualified and the full name can not be deduced by a "gethostbyname"
call.

Setting visible_hostname manually does not solve this, just quells the
error message as Squid then trusts you know what you are doing. It still
won't work properly for the clients.

The most common error causing this is by not having the hosts full name in
/etc/hosts, or having the full name after the short name.