Re: [squid-users] Slow file download / read_timeout

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:49:19 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Russ Uhte wrote:

> Actually, the new Cisco recommendation is to make sure that all devices that
> can autonegotiate are setup to autonegatiate. Hard coding speed/duplex is
> now considered obsolete and should only be used in very rare circumstances,
> or with older hardware/drivers.

Indeed.

The main problem with hardcoding is that if you hardcode one side you MUST
hardcode both sides (switch and computer). This because when the port is
hardcoded is is no longer advertised which mode the port supports.

> I also seem to remember that this bug stated that 100/Half was the most
> compatible if you did have to set them, but don't quote me on that part.

Hardcoding to 100/Half without verifying the other endpoint is relatively
safe, but autonegotiate is always best (except the few cases when it
doesn't work..)