[squid-users] Resolution query

From: Ian Large <ian.large@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:39:06 -0000

Hi all

I've got a small problem that I'm hoping that someone can help with. Our
squids work just fine, doing what they do best. But!

We have a project to ease a little of our WAN traffic by putting a squid
connected to an ADSL at some outlying sites with poor WAN connections to
allow certain URLs direct access from the site via the ADSL. All other
requests will be forwarded to the parent proxies here at head office.

All of our clients use IE and currently are configured not to use a proxy
for local addresses but for routing purposes it would be beneficial to pass
all http traffic through the proxy. I've been doing some tests and I cannot
get sites like http://intranet (the default home page) to work. I just get
the "Unable to determine IP address from host name for intranet" page come
up.

The servers can resolve the address at OS level and the squid reports on
startup that it is using the two internal DNS servers resolv.conf. I added
the acl:

acl Internal dst 10.0.0.0/8
always_direct allow Internal

This didn't seem to help. From what I have read, using "dstdom" instead of
"dst" wouldn't work because there isn't a domain to put in...

If I add "append_domain salvesen.com" to the squid.conf then it works but
causes other issues which some users may find unacceptable. For example, if
I attempt to access webmail (Domino iNotes) at
http://mymailserver/mail/mymailfile.nsf, firstly I am prompted for my
username and password and then the URL gets rewritten as
http://mymailserver.salvesen.com/mail/mymailfile.nsf and am again prompted
to authenticate. Since many of our technophobe directors use webmail
extensively due to travelling a lot, we would probably get many complaints
about this from people who have loud voices...

Can anybody suggest a workaround to allow the squid to resolve domain-less
sites?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian

For information on Christian Salvesen visit our website at www.salvesen.com.

The information contained in this e-mail is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee only; it may also be legally privileged and / or price sensitive. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, use or copying of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

Christian Salvesen has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. However, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Christian Salvesen is a trading name of the Christian Salvesen Group. Christian Salvesen PLC (Company number SC7173) is the ultimate holding company within the Christian Salvesen Group whose registered office is at 16 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4DF.