Re: [squid-users] Add 'include' functionality for squid.conf?

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:21:44 -0600

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:31:19 +0100 (CET), Henrik Nordstrom
<hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Kevin wrote:
> > I've explored the possibility of generating "squid.conf" via M4 or cpp,
> > but making the existing comment lines fully compatible with a
> > pre-processor would require significant effort.
>
> Why you want to keep the existing comments?

Well, in the Apache world it's considered bad form to strip down the
httpd.conf to just the non-comment lines. Leaving the comments in
does make it easier to see what the defaults are and decide whether
to override them, or for my successor maintain the configs.

In the end I guess it's just a matter of style and local culture.

> Also, translating the comments to M4 style isn't that hard..
>
> perl -i -p -e 's/^#/dnl #/' squid.conf.m4

Thanks. I was trying to get fancy with divert() and just ended up getting
tripped up by quotes and apostrophes.

> Note: Squid-3.0 will have the ability to preprocess the config file with a
> selected preprocessor (already implemented in the development snapshots).

Sounds good.