[squid-users] Two squid instances based on file types? Is it good?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:08:30 +0100

As I would like to cache normal web stuff and big multimedia files, like videos, I was thinking about using two different squid instances running on two different machine. This idea was led by the fact that I'm not sure on how squid uses replacement algorithm. I'd bettere explain it: if I use only one squid, having small files (html pages) and huge files togheter (big videos) in the same cache, I guess, will make big files the first candidates to be replaced in cache, right? But, what does happen if I use, let's say, two different cache dirs on the same squid, one for small files and another one for huge files? In such a case, whenever squid needs space to cache more stuff, will it apply the replacement algorithm on the right dir only? I mean, if it needs space to cache more small html files (for instance), will it only apply the replacement algorithm on the cache dir containing small files of will it applies it on both dir, the one with small files and the one with huge files?

Thank you!

Marco