Re: [squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:11:29 +0100

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:25, Marco Crucianelli wrote:
> As I wrote in another post, I was considering of using two squid on two different machines, one for normal web stuff (small files) and another one for very big files (huge video). I was thinking to use a layer 7 switch in front of them, thus I could make clients use both of them in a transparent way! Reading something about a software layer 7 switching (Linux Virtual Server) I know that these three machine I would use (one layer 7 switching and 2 squid) should share the same virtual IP address. Now, this shouldn't be bad, as I could write in the squid.conf
>
> http_port virtual_ip_address
>
> thus both squid could use the same virtual IP address.

This seems overly complex. Usually balancing boxes (including LVS) can
do some form of DNAT. Simply use that, and make sure that in reaching
the clients you go back through the balancer (so that the NAT can be
properly closed) and you're done.

> Here comes the funny part...well...I do even need that these two squid could use two different squid_parent via ICP. Going this way, I do need that the squid having the layer 7 switch in front could even use their real IP address to communicate with their own squid_parent. Could I use something like this in squid.conf to make everything work?
>
> udp_incoming_address real_ip_address
> udp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255

I don't think you need any of this. Just have each squid instance point
to its parent. But really I don't see the advantage of this solution,
performance-wise.

> I've made this small schema to make you understand better how I would like to connect everything!
>
> TIA
>
> Marco
>
> _____________ _____________
> |parent_squid1| |parent_squid2|