Re: [squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:48:18 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Marco Crucianelli wrote:

> (Linux Virtual Server) I know that these three machine I would use (one
> layer 7 switching and 2 squid) should share the same virtual IP address.
> Now, this shouldn't be bad, as I could write in the squid.conf
>
> http_port virtual_ip_address
>
> thus both squid could use the same virtual IP address.

This is perfectly fine thing to do.

However, shared IP addresses requires careful configuration of the hosts
or your network layout to avoid network address conflicts. See LVS
documentation for details.

In general I recommend starting with LVS/NAT as this is by far the
simplest to set up and get everything right. You need to reach a very high
traffic volume before LVS/NAT becomes your bottleneck and I don't see this
likely to happen with Squid unless you have a very big farm of machines..

> Here comes the funny part...well...I do even need that these two squid
> could use two different squid_parent via ICP. Going this way, I do need
> that the squid having the layer 7 switch in front could even use their
> real IP address to communicate with their own squid_parent. Could I use
> something like this in squid.conf to make everything work?
>
> udp_incoming_address real_ip_address
> udp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255

Not need to do this, just leave them at the defaults allowing Squid to use
the real IP of your server as provided by the OS.

Same thing for tcp_outgoing_address.