Re: [squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:27:19 +0100

Thanks for your answer Henrik!!!!

> > Here comes the funny part...well...I do even need that these two squid
> > could use two different squid_parent via ICP. Going this way, I do need
> > that the squid having the layer 7 switch in front could even use their
> > real IP address to communicate with their own squid_parent. Could I use
> > something like this in squid.conf to make everything work?
> >
> > udp_incoming_address real_ip_address
> > udp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255
>
> Not need to do this, just leave them at the defaults allowing Squid to use
> the real IP of your server as provided by the OS.
>
> Same thing for tcp_outgoing_address.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Well, maybe I was not that clear in my explanation (my english fault! :
P) I was speaking about the same squid behind the layer 7 switch! I
mean, those two squid behind the layer 7 switch must conect on one side
with the layer 7 switch, using the Virtual IP address, and on the other
side with other two parent squid with their real IP address...or
something like this! That's why I was asking if I should modify
udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address!
But I have another doubt too: those two directives (udp_incoming_address
and udp_outgoing_address) change the ip address that squid uses to make
ICP queries, what happens after squid has queried using ICP, I mean,
what address does it use to retrieve the content it needs from the
parent_squid? Does it use the virtual IP address or the real one?

Thanks you very much for you patience Henrik!

Marco