[squid-users] Re: High loads on linux box running squid - tuning

From: Maik Ihde <maik.ihde@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:49:07 +0000 (UTC)

Finnur Örn Guðmundsson - Skyggnir <fog <at> t.is> writes:

> Im running squid on HP Proliant DL360 (3.06Ghz Xeon / 1Gb ram / 2x 15K disks
in raid1)

We have two similar Caches. DL360G4 Models, however they have 2GB Ram and we
don't use raid but have disks configured as a stripe set, since there is no data
we need to protect.

> We have around 2000-2500 concurrent clients at daytimes

Well, we have less users but are running TM Viruswall on these Boxes.

> After i upgraded the box to the 3Ghz Xeon its still performing pretty much the
same (Loads from 0.80 to 2.00).

Squid does benefit from Memory and Disk Performace a lot, CPU is not that
important. Your Machine is probably Swapping a lot? -> check that.

> cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid 4000 16 256 (i know i do not have alot of
cacheing space, but this is a temp
> proxy solution)

We use diskd and have configured the cache dir Partition as ReiserFS instead of
Ext3, also it is mounted with noatun,noatail.

> Is there anything i can do to quickly lower the load? How many users can one
put on a box like this? I have been
> google-ing alot and have seen talk about 2500-5000 on one box, not unlike this
one. Is this wrong?

Put more Ram into the box and I suggest to use ReiserFS and diskd. Our machines
can do 50-60 req/s and CPU Load is mostly about 0.5 - and that's with the
Viruswall between the Squid and the Internet which obviously costs performance.

HTH
Maik