RE: [squid-users] How to serve directory index files...?

From: Peter Yohe <pyohe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:25:14 -0600

We have a collection of mirrored web sites that we distribute to schools in
developing countries where Internet access is limited or not available. I'm
looking into different proxies that provide off-line browsing support to see
if they can be used to let students type in a URI and if it's in the
collection it will be served as if they were on the Internet.

I would like to know how squid responds while in offline mode to a request
for http://www.foo.com/ with no default page specified versus a request
where the default page is included in the request as in
http://www.foo.com/index.html. It would make sense to me that the second
request would work if the resource was in the cache already. But say I use
an address without specifying a file. Does Squid keep track of what files in
it's cache are the default document for some address?

I understand that normally the web server is configured to serve certain
pages as a default document or directory index page. When such a page does
not exist in the requested directory path the server will respond with a
directory listing or a directory listing denied. It seems to me that it
would not be possible to define ahead of time what documents are to be
served as default, if they exist, in an offline cache and that some other
technique would need to be used.

Thanks,

Peter