Re: [squid-users] Accessing MySQL database for list of allowed sites

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:39:04 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Glynn Robinson wrote:

> I'm currently setting up a new Squid proxy server to replace an existing
> one. The current proxy utilises an ACL which connects to a MySQL
> database and extracts a number of allowed URLs from a table. The problem
> is, I'm having trouble replicating this behaviour in the new proxy. The
> current squid.conf file has a number of references to MySQL - including
> information regarding the name of the database, the user and password
> etc but when I include these statements in the new squid.conf file I
> receive a number of errors. Obviously, I need to add MySQL support but I
> am unsure as to how to do this. I've seen posts regarding a package
> called mysql_auth but I'm assuming it won't allow me to pull URLs from a
> database to add into an ACL.

Your old Squid is patched with the unofficial mysql_acl patch which was
available for Squid-2.4 and Squid-2.2.

If you know a little programming then replicating pretty much the same
functionality using the external_acl interface of Squid-2.5 and later is
not too hard, but to my knowledge noone has done this yet.