Re: [squid-users] ACLs in a text file

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:37:32 +1100

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:18 am, johnsuth@acenet.com.au wrote:
> If I place my ACL definitions in a text file, and add URLs to the file
> during working hours, is it sufficient to just save the file for the new
> URLs to be allowed, or is it necessary to do something like rotating logs
> or restarting Squid?

killall -HUP squid

...but this will restart all child processes (like redirectors and auth
modules). It will be a clean "reconfigure" though. The PID will stay the
same and if you've reniced the parent "squid" process, all children will
restart with the same niceness as the parent. My squid boxes run with
squid+children niced to -5 (to make sure squid gets priority over webalizer,
apache and other fru-fru that mangelment want running on them to audit users'
activities).

or as Joost suggested: sbin/squid -k reconfigure

Henrik: is there a major difference between sending a HUP signal or using "-k
reconfigure" ???

Cheers,

James