Re: [squid-users] modify http pages

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:53:01 -0600

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:58:23 -0500, Sangeeta Chachlani
<chachlani.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a novice still getting my hands on squid..... I wanted to know if
> there is a way that I can modify http pages just before displaying the
> webpage form cache.

I'd swear I just saw a very similar question just a week or so ago,
and the answer was that you might look into a different proxy solution
if you need to rewrite content.

I've seen some pretty cool "munging proxy" implementations written
in Java, designed to strip down web pages for mobile devices, even
to the point of resizing and downsampling image files for small screens.
e,g, http://www.noisygecko.com/Projects/Treo600/BlazerProxy

> What I was to achive is say if I have google page
> in the cache and I am going to serve the next request for google from
> cache I would like to display how many times had this page been
> accessed. Say on the left hand side of the page I would like to
> display it. the number of times the page is been requested. Thus I
> want squid to modify the http pages before handlling the request . Is
> this possible if yes..how?.....are there any tools to achiieve
> this...or some other way..

This would be a cool idea for an optional cache header squid could
return. Trying to "safely" insert these into the page anywhere other
than the HTTP headers or perhaps the HTML <title> element would
likely be problematic.

I'm sure Henrik can give a more complete/official answer.

Kevin