Re: [squid-users] Compiling squid under Windows

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:44:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Alexander Shopov wrote:

> Do I need the nt-2_5 branch of SF CVS tree of squid to compile SQUID under
> Windows?

Yes, if you want to compile on Windows using MSVC or mingw.

No if you want to compile on Windows using Cygwin, but the native port
interacts much better with Windows.

> Why are the differences between that branch and the official 2.5STABLE9
> sources so big?

Because Windows is not UNIX.

It is also worth mentioning that a large part of the patch is the MSVC
project files, not changes to Squid as such. (most of the files in the
ports/ directory)

> There seem to have been regular merges.

Not really. Only in the other direction: Squid-2.5 changes into
squidnt-2.5.

> Are the acmeconsulting
> (http://www.acmeconsulting.it/pagine/opensource/download/squid.htm)
> binaries based on that?

Yes. And so are their source distribution. It is Guido Serassio who
maintains both the acmeconsultin Squid pages and the Squid NT branches.