Re: [squid-users] Compiling squid under Windows

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:58:10 +0100

Hi Alexander,

At 12.44 07/03/2005, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Alexander Shopov wrote:
>
>>Do I need the nt-2_5 branch of SF CVS tree of squid to compile SQUID
>>under Windows?
>
>Yes, if you want to compile on Windows using MSVC or mingw.
>
>No if you want to compile on Windows using Cygwin, but the native port
>interacts much better with Windows.

Correct, but the official 2.5 source tree lacks many Windows specific
features like Windows service support, Windows native helpers and many
other details.

>>Why are the differences between that branch and the official 2.5STABLE9
>>sources so big?
>
>Because Windows is not UNIX.
>
>It is also worth mentioning that a large part of the patch is the MSVC
>project files, not changes to Squid as such. (most of the files in the
>ports/ directory)
>
>>There seem to have been regular merges.
>
>Not really. Only in the other direction: Squid-2.5 changes into squidnt-2.5.

Latest merge from s2_5 was made yesterday.

>>Are the acmeconsulting
>>(http://www.acmeconsulting.it/pagine/opensource/download/squid.htm)
>>binaries based on that?
>
>Yes. And so are their source distribution. It is Guido Serassio who
>maintains both the acmeconsultin Squid pages and the Squid NT branches.

The source distribution is generated on a daily basis like the official
Squid daily snapshot. It's based on the current CVS source tree, without
archiving of previous source revisions.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/