Re: [squid-users] Strange HTTP Header causing error message from squid to user

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:42:11 +1300

Hi,

Mark Wiater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my users is getting an error message when accessing a page
> through Squid but the page loads fine in Firefox, IE & Netscape
> directly.
>
> The headers that the HTTP server is returning look odd to me.
>
> First, the Date: field has two dates on the same line, comma separated.
> Same thing for the Server line. Microsoft-IIS/5.0, Results CASI Net
>
> The Connection: header also has close, close
>
> And finally, there are two distinct HTTP header lines. The first is the
> first line in the data section of the IP packet, HTTP/1.x 200 OK. The
> second comes after the close, the 6th line, and is: HTTP/1.1: 200 OK.
>
> Any ideas why Squid is detecting an error while browsers render the
> page?

If it has a malformed Date, Server and Connection header, then it is
very very broken, and likely makes no sense to squid. It probably makes
no sense to your browser either, but it likely just ignores it. You're
really asking "why does something which is obviously broken not work?" ;-)

Can you tell us what the URL is?

Have you specified the relaxed_header_parser directive in your
squid.conf, and if so, what is it set to? There is an explanation about
this in your squid.conf.

What version of squid are you using? (squid -v)

I know, heaps of questions, but this is coming up as a daily question on
this mailing list...

Reuben