[squid-users] Re: Squid-2.5.STABLE9 available

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:36:30 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Chris Horry wrote:

> Thanks, STABLE9 has been working great for a week or so now.

Great!

Have been sitting on the announce for some time to see if any major issues
pops up but so far there hasn't been any that I know of.

From what it looks there will be a 2.5.STABLE10 release in a not too
distant future, but more of a bug/misfeature maintenance release than a
security release. See the list of pending patches for some ideas what may
go into 2.5.STABLE10 (Squid 2.5 -> Patches -> Known Issues -> Pending Bug
reports).

> What ever happened to Squid 3.0? Did development stop or is it
> continuing in the background?

It is continuing in the background.

> What can we expect from it if it is still being developed?

In terms of functionality there is mostly news for people running Squid as
reverse proxy, but there is also a few interesting bits for normal proxy
use such as custom log formats, selective logging to more than one log
file, much improved redirector and authenticattor interfaces and a bit
more.

Internally there is a lot of changes as Squid is undergoing a transition
from C to C++ to ease future maintenance and development, including
redesign and cleanup of a lot of the internals of Squid.