[squid-users] child/parent cluster http 302 redirect query

From: Danny Hallwood <Danny.Hallwood@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:21:37 -0000

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to configure a child squid to
query parents using ICP, as standard, but to return a HTTP 302
redirect to the end user browser with the URL for the preferred
parent.

The driver behind this is to develop a high bandwidth content delivery
network. Serving more data/bandwidth than any one box could proxy. I
would like to build the below architecture.

WEB-Browser  <-> Child Squid (performs ICP request to N parents ,
sends back http Redirect)
WEB-Browser <-> Parent Squid (Parent host serves content direct to
browser without channelling data through Child node)

I am hopeful that the above will allow us to serve +4Gbit/Sec of data.

As an aside the files served will be on average 1Gbyte, around 2,000
off them.

The project is shoe-horned into using HTTP as delivery, making use of
the Microsoft BITS service for download management.

The average client will be broadband, read 500Kb-1mb/sec and we expect
a total concurrent load of 5,000 users. Which due to the file size -
will be concurrent
.
Other suggestions welcome, initially I had explored large SAN
infrastructure, though factoring IO consumption and number of FC
connections to web servers I'm convinced squid can provide more fully
redundant, better performing solution - backed by a smaller pair of
webservers and large NAS.

Cisco CDN is another solution, though I'm yet to be convinced of its ability to scale to multi-gigabit delivery.

The entire solution may end up being replicated in many locations, a
rack per country etc with data-tier updates once per day for upto
10GByte of data.

Also thoughts on pre-populating the cache would be welcome, though ultimately this would be easy to achieve with a small robot script, a push method to populate edge caches would be better suited.

Thanks for any help,
Danny