Re: [squid-users] child/parent cluster http 302 redirect query

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:43:22 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Danny Hallwood wrote:

> I would like to know if it's possible to configure a child squid to
> query parents using ICP, as standard, but to return a HTTP 302
> redirect to the end user browser with the URL for the preferred
> parent.

No. URLs indicate the location and name of the object to fetch, not the
path how to get to the object.

> The driver behind this is to develop a high bandwidth content delivery
> network. Serving more data/bandwidth than any one box could proxy. I
> would like to build the below architecture.

Ok. Sounds like a reverse proxy setup, not a normal setup?

If it is a reverse proxy setup then returning redirects as you describe is
feasible, but some coding is required to implement the function in Squid.