Re: [squid-users] Did Anyone used ESI with squid ?

From: Nitesh Naik <nitesh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:41:52 +0530

Dear Michal,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me send you some more information about settings that I am using.

We are using squid squid-3.0-PRE3-20041220 for parsing ESI. squid is
compiled with esi ( --enable-esi ) but for some reason esi is not getting
parsed and we get following error in the browser.

The following error was encountered:

ESI Processing failed.
The ESI processor returned:
esiProcess: Parse error at line 2: junk after document element
This means that:
 The surrogate was not able to process the ESI template. Please report this
error to the webmaster

ESI example used
<esi:assign name="date_string" value="$strftime($time(), '%a, %d %B %Y
%H:%M:%S %Z')"/>
<esi:vars>
$(date_string)
</esi:vars>

 squid.conf settings

    httpd_accel_surrogate_id unset-id
    http_accel_surrogate_remote on
    esi_parser libxml2
    cache_peer xyz.com parent 80 0 no-query originserver

Apache configuration at origin server
   <Directory /esi/>
     Header add Surrogate-Control max-age=60,content="ESI/1.0"
     ExpiresActive On
     ExpiresByType text/html "now plus 1 minutes"
 </Directory>

When we hit origin server the Surrogate-Control is added to header

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:30:03 GMT
Surrogate-Control: max-age=60,content="ESI/1.0"
P3P: CP="NOI DSP COR CURa ADMa DEVa PSDa OUR BUS UNI COM NAV OTC",
policyref="/w3c/p3p.xml"
Last-Modified: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:50:06 GMT
ETag: "13c8a1-133-4228597e"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Regards
Nitesh Naik