RE: [squid-users] squid stop responding

From: Alex <o_again2004@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:46:16 +1100

Dear Sumith,
thank you very much for your help, but i have show u the mem_cache and the
cache_dir ufs TAGs in my configuration file, do i have to configure
something else on the configuration file it self, i think the RAM i have
configured for the squid is enough,, i mean 128MB is enough for the squid to
perform, and its working fine untill we get high hits on the proxy server.
can you please suggest a procedure to check why this is happening ?!

again please note the configuration below :
#Memory the Squid will use. Well, Squid will use far more than that.
cache_mem 128 MB
#250 means that Squid will use 250 megabytes of disk space.
cache_dir ufs /cache 1500 32 512

Regards,
Alex

Sumith Gamage <sumith@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:
> [...]

Dear Alex,

This is not a TAG. It is a simple shell command, which you can used to
control resource available to the shell.

Quoting from "man ulimit":
ulimit [-SHacdflmnpstuv [limit]]
Provides control over the resources available to the shell and
to processes started by it, on systems that allow such control.

If you wish to use ulimit for file descriptor allocation, you can simply use
following script to start squid service.

# Setting number of file descriptors
ulimit -HSn 2048
# Assuming default location of squid installation
exec /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid

> and the mx_open_disk_fds TAG
> can you please tell me what is the use of these tags,

Other way of doing a similar thing is to setup the max_open_disk_fds TAG
accordingly. If you use "ulimit" setup file descriptors you can leave
max_open_disk_fds 0 (default value - no limit)

> anything wrong with my configuration shown below kindly correct me.

I am simply quoting following directions from the presentation did by Dr.
Gihan Dias in APRICOT 2004 (http://www.is.lk/is/apricot/dias-bw-mgmt-2.ppt).
If you interested refer the entire document for detailed information.

Calculating Disc Space:
- Recommend keeping at least 2 days worth of objects
- 10 days may be better
- Example:
- 256kb link loaded 10 hrs/day ~= 1GB
- assume 50% cacheable - .5GB / day
- 2 days objects - 1GB
- 10 days objects - 5 GB

Memory Requirements:
- Squid uses memory for many things
- code and data
- “hotâ€‌ objects
- object list
- directories and I-nodes
- Swapping slows down squid
- make sure squid runs without swapping
- Rule of Thumb (on x86 Linux)
- 48MB + 8MB / GB of disc cache
- 1GB of disc ïƒ‍ 64MB of memory
- More won’t hurt

CPU:
- Generally, Squid is not CPU intensive
- any modern CPU should have enough horsepower
- 450MHz P II handles 1Mb/s without a problem
- Use a decent server machine
- Using delay-pools increases CPU usage

Regards,
Sumith