Re: [squid-users] Multiple authentication schemes

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:40:34 +1100

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:14 am, Graeme Bisset wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to have multiple proxy_auth acls at
> once? i.e. Can I use the NTLM authentication auth helper for one subnet
> and use another type of helper (not NTLM) for another subnet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graeme

We run NTLM (via winbind) and BASIC auth on all our gateways. If a host
supports NTLM (IE etc), it will attempt to authenticate with that, should
that method fail, the user is presented with the BASIC auth login prompt.

OTOH, is a client only supports BASIC auth, then that is all they see. Whilst
we don't run different authentication schemes on different networks, it
wouldn't be too hard to create groups with active directory that can
authenticate, then everyone who fails will get the basic auth.

I could have this a little "backward" - but this is how it appears to work.

Cheers,

James