[squid-users] Limiting IE to Windows Update (SOLVED)

From: Pedro Timoteo <patimoteo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:01:35 +0000

Hi again. This is working now. Thanks to all those who helped.

First, I'm sorry, I must have been tired: how did I not think, before
asking, of grepping for "browser" in the default squid.conf? What was I
thinking?

Second, yes, the user agent string can be changed. But I'm counting on
the fact that most IE users don't even know what a "browser" is - they
think that "the Internet is the blue E". I'm also counting that anyone
who is technically knowledgeable enough to change IE's user agent is
also knowledgeable enough not to want to use IE. :)

Third, I'm doing it at my home network for now. Maybe someday it will be
company policy where I work - and in other companies as well.

If anyone is thinking about something like this, here's what I did:

I added, before the "allow" for my home network, the following:

---
acl msie browser MSIE
acl getmozilla dstdomain .spreadfirefox.com
acl getmozilla dstdomain .getfirefox.com
# firefox download places always have "mozilla" in the URL
acl getmozilla2 url_regex mozilla
# the following use IE's engine
# magic online
acl exceptions_ie url_regex wizards\.com
# jre updates
acl exceptions_ie url_regex java\.sun\.com
acl exceptions_ie url_regex jdl\.sun\.com
# stardock central
acl exceptions_ie url_regex stardock\.com
# city of heroes
acl exceptions_ie url_regex \.coh\.com
acl exceptions_ie url_regex cityofheroes\.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .windowsupdate.microsoft.com
deny_info ERR_BAD_BROWSER msie
http_access allow msie windowsupdate
http_access allow msie getmozilla
http_access allow msie getmozilla2
http_access allow msie exceptions_ie
http_access deny msie
----
And I created an ERR_BAD_BROWSER file for telling users that they're
using an insecure browser, and that IE is only for Windows Update, and
for downloading Firefox.