[squid-users] Squid tuning for low end hardware (network appliances)

From: Byron Pezan <byron@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:36:40 -0500

I was wondering if anyone would care to share some ideas on how to tune
squid for a small network appliance. We have customized OpenBSD to run
on a Soekris net4801 (http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm), which has a
266 MHz 586 class processor, 128MB of RAM and a 30GB (15GB of which are
available to squid) laptop size drive. These boxes are currently
router/firewall/VPN/transparent proxies for remote offices with about
15-20 employees on average. I also plan on attempting to add Snort to
that list of services in the near future. How would you tune squid for
this hardware and scenario?

Any and all ideas and comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Byron Pezan