Re: [squid-users] Squid tuning for low end hardware (network appliances)

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:18:44 +0200

On 28.03 18:36, Byron Pezan wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone would care to share some ideas on how to tune
> squid for a small network appliance. We have customized OpenBSD to run
> on a Soekris net4801 (http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm), which has a
> 266 MHz 586 class processor, 128MB of RAM and a 30GB (15GB of which are
> available to squid) laptop size drive. These boxes are currently
> router/firewall/VPN/transparent proxies for remote offices with about
> 15-20 employees on average. I also plan on attempting to add Snort to
> that list of services in the near future. How would you tune squid for
> this hardware and scenario?

I don't know if you can tune squid for such hardware.
You can of course set up squid on such HW and run it there, but its
performance will be very limited. the mani question is, how fast link do
you have and if squid can handle all the traffic going through such link
and probably more (due to caching and thus some bandwidth efficiency).

I'd recommend you at least upgrading memory if it's possible. You should
not set up big acl's, although the memory and then harddisk will probably
be the weakest elements

I intend to live forever - so far so good.