RE: [squid-users] what the difference b/w htcp / proxy only

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:54:01 +0200

> Frankly I really don't know if htcp is better then ICP while
> configuring

  HTCP provides better security and better cache hit predictions
  versus ICP. However, HTCP messages are larger and more complicated.
  So they impose slightly more network overhead.

> "proxy-only" would be
> the best coz all of the caches servers are on the same network/switch.
>
> I thinks there is some sorta lack of communication probably
> from my side
> coz I'm not native ya ;)
>
> So what you suggest may I use ICP or HTCP protocol while configuring
> cache_peer , sibling relationship b/w the cache servers.

  You need ICP or HTCP to use siblings in a fashionable manner.
  I.e. the ability for the cache 'client' to ask the sibling
  whether it has the object or not.
  Probably ICP will has a slighty more chance for 'false hits'.

  M.