Re: [squid-users] Logging files

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:43:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez wrote:

> I need to use squid to heavily monitorize the use of Internet, including
> the logging of "all traffic" (=files) transferred via Squid.

access.log does contain this, save for the actual file content.

If you also need to log the actual file content then another approach will
be needed. Not even using the cache is sufficient for this as not all
files gets cached.

> Is it possible for Squid? A second question: is it possible to do
> "conditional" logging, i.e., to log the files which were downloaded only
> from certain IPs, etc (the condition could be an ACL)?

The custom log formats patch includes conditional logging of requests.

> content, since it was a .txt file, but I don't know the exact format so
> I could convert this into the original file). Is there any tool to
> retrieve the file from the cache object?

THe purge utility contains samle code how to read the cache files.

The format is also documented in the Squid programmers guide.