[squid-users] Logging files

From: Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez <roman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:17:24 +0200

Hi all,

I need to use squid to heavily monitorize the use of Internet, including
the logging of "all traffic" (=files) transferred via Squid. Is it
possible for Squid? A second question: is it possible to do
"conditional" logging, i.e., to log the files which were downloaded only
from certain IPs, etc (the condition could be an ACL)?

Now, I've only thought, as a simple approximation, to use the cache and
store.log to retrieve a file, when needed, but I have 3 problems:
- I can't do selective logging. In this case, all is logged.
- cache has a limit, and files will be not eternally saved.
- I don't know how to "extract" a file from the object in the cache
(I've reviewed a simple object file in "/var/cache/...", I can see the
content, since it was a .txt file, but I don't know the exact format so
I could convert this into the original file). Is there any tool to
retrieve the file from the cache object?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA.

Regards,
-Román